Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ON TEACHING: The Nature of Treasures

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite games was “little school”. My aunt, three years my older, and I had such a wonderful time.
Her mother, my grandma, provided us with plenty of opportunities to enjoy life, learn, and to enhance the principles of hard work and passion for whatever we do in life.
Despite the fact that her house was located in one of the low-middle class neighborhoods in our city, it was a place where richness and abundance existed.
The house of my parents was located in some of the best neighborhoods in the city (we moved more than 20 times) but this house was more like a non-interactive museum where most of the things couldn’t be touched.

So, I grew up among these two neighborhoods, between the “rich” and the “poor”.
It was very difficult for my mother to understand why I enjoyed so much being at my grandma’s house where I didn’t have the latest toys and luxuries we had at home.
She usually asked me, “What is it that you find over there?”, when I wanted to stay the two month summer vacation at my grandmother’s house.
Many things!

My grandmother has been a very loving and non-conventional woman who has never taken herself very seriously. She is the first one to laugh at her flaws, mistakes, and physical disabilities. She has undergone more than ten surgeries throughout her life. She is sort of a “Bionic Woman”. So, physically she doesn’t have many justifications for vanity or to rely on external beauty.
Because her priorities in life were always very clear, she allowed us to write on her house’s walls (of course, when my grandfather wasn’t around).
“Can we write on the walls with the colored chalks?” we asked her.
“Yes, the only condition is that when you both finish, you have to clean everything up”.
And we did. She trusted us.
The teacher I am now was born there, in my grandmother’s house where we were allowed to build our own toys out of soda bottled caps, a wire and a hammer and turn them into a musical instrument.
My grandmother convinced me that through Freedom, learning and passion occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment