Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ON WRITING: Reading "Bad" and "Badly" Written Books

I’ve frequently heard or read as a writing advice to read the “good” books, the “good” writers. I’ve read great books from comics to philosophy and all of them have had something to offer me as reader, as a writer, as a learner, as a teacher, as a woman and as a human being. Books have changed my life.
With time, I’ve come more appreciative of the “bad” stuff. It teaches me about what not to do, that in spite of the level of development of some writers, they do write. They take risks independently from how “good” or “bad” their writing is, from how “good” or “bad” their writing is perceived, understood or misunderstood. They have guts!
The good books set standards and examples of what good writing is. However, once you read a piece that has been perfectly written (after many rewritings); it shows little evidence on how that was achieved. And if we want to learn, improve and keep writing and writing, the help it provides is limited.
We need to learn about the process, snapshots of precise moments during it.
And as for the bad books, well, they have taught me also what not to do; they have displayed snapshots of the ever changing process of other writers’ works.
We have a lot to learn from good and bad books, from the good and bad experiences of our lives. What I think is most important is to be a good reader despite the material we read.

No comments:

Post a Comment